Northwest Blacksmith Association

Clubhouse Gathering February 23, 2013 | Calendar of Events Announcements | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Clubhouse Gathering February 23, 2013
January 31, 2013
7:10 pm
N.W.B.A.

Moderators
Forum Posts: 72
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Demonstration and Open Forge
February 23, 9AM - 5PM (maybe later depending on how the day goes)

Demonstrator: Dean Mook: "Wall Sconces, Lampshades and Party Hats"
Learn how to develop a pattern for making a conic section, and use that technique to create wall sconces and lamp shades.
We will also be learning how to work with mica as a lens material.

February 1, 2013
2:12 pm
billyO

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 234
33756sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello all, not sure if this is the right forum, so move if necessary, but I had a thought about the monthly hammer-ins.

The NWBA's mission is outreach and education, so could we (more appropriately, you the more advanced smiths in the group, I just didn't want it to seem like I was volunteering someone else..;)) develop a NWBA curriculum for newbies for the hammer-ins? I'm thinking something like the ABANA curriculum, but also adding things like striking for someone else, perhaps progressing to striking in a group (probably ambitious, but would be cool for the public to see).

Looking forward to seeing Dean demo again!

as always

peace and love

billyO

February 1, 2013
4:45 pm
Bruce Crittenden

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 109
33758sp_Permalink sp_Print

billyO;17264 wrote: Hello all, not sure if this is the right forum, so move if necessary, but I had a thought about the monthly hammer-ins.

The NWBA's mission is outreach and education, so could we (more appropriately, you the more advanced smiths in the group, I just didn't want it to seem like I was volunteering someone else..;)) develop a NWBA curriculum for newbies for the hammer-ins? I'm thinking something like the ABANA curriculum, but also adding things like striking for someone else, perhaps progressing to striking in a group (probably ambitious, but would be cool for the public to see).

February 1, 2013
5:38 pm
Bruce Crittenden

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 109
33759sp_Permalink sp_Print

billyO;17264 wrote: Hello all, not sure if this is the right forum, so move if necessary, but I had a thought about the monthly hammer-ins.

Hey,Bill-0',it's funny you should mention that .Its what the whole "clubhouse" concept is all about.Virtually every association has or wants a program to promote education and develope skills. I think everyone knows that these concepts require a huge amount of commitment and dedication."We"hope by meeting once a month,our members will discuss these possibilities and bring them forward for implementation . I witnessed some pretty good B S sessions going on last Saturday .We all enjoy our volunteer organization ,and staying involved and making good plans is what will keep things moving ahead . When we meet next month ,I will ask our President ,Bill Apple,to allow a question and answer period for these type of ideas.We are blacksmiths, so lets treat our ideas like our iron.When it's hot, take a hammer and move it around until it takes on a form you like and others can appreciate .Spread the word, Bruce C.

February 24, 2013
3:33 am
Zachary Greig
Forum Posts: 43
33945sp_Permalink sp_Print

Definitely enjoying these gatherings. The demos and sense of community have been great and having the opportunity to get help and advice from people face to face is invaluable. I hope these keep up and that we can get the same attendance that the first one did more often.

Going to bring in stock to make a warhammer next month if anyone wants to join in on forging it or has tools they'd be willing to bring for such a project, my collection is still fairly lacking. Would be fun I think to get some multi-smith projects going. Things people don't have the tools, forge or powerhammer to do at home. Can bring extra stock too if someone else wants to start one.

Because blacksmithing is totally Metal! /../

February 24, 2013
3:45 am
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 572
33949sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zachary Greig;17456 wrote: Definitely enjoying these gatherings. The demos and sense of community have been great and having the opportunity to get help and advice from people face to face is invaluable. I hope these keep up and that we can get the same attendance that the first one did more often.

Really happy to have met you today, Zach!!! Do go for the war hammer next hammer-in... I've been thinking of making some halberds like the dwarfs carried in the Hobbit movie...

February 24, 2013
3:55 am
Zachary Greig
Forum Posts: 43
33951sp_Permalink sp_Print

Scott said he might bring stock to make a long sword as well. We are going to end up with a whole armory at this rate. Lol. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a handle for my sledge by next month so we can do some heavy striking where we need it.

Because blacksmithing is totally Metal! /../

February 24, 2013
5:44 am
Tracy Lauricella

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 70
33953sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zachary Greig;17462 wrote: Scott said he might bring stock to make a long sword as well. We are going to end up with a whole armory at this rate. Lol. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a handle for my sledge by next month so we can do some heavy striking where we need it.

If not, no worries, there were several sledges standing in the back corner there today.

It was nice meeting you today, and chatting outside over our pipes. I love these gatherings- they're a great way to meet more folks in the organization, as well as learn a heck of a lot in a short time.

--Tracy

February 24, 2013
1:36 pm
bill apple

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 31
33956sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bruce Crittenden;17267 wrote: Hey,Bill-0',it's funny you should mention that .Its what the whole "clubhouse" concept is all about.Virtually every association has or wants a program to promote education and develope skills. I think everyone knows that these concepts require a huge amount of commitment and dedication."We"hope by meeting once a month,our members will discuss these possibilities and bring them forward for implementation . I witnessed some pretty good B S sessions going on last Saturday .We all enjoy our volunteer organization ,and staying involved and making good plans is what will keep things moving ahead . When we meet next month ,I will ask our President ,Bill Apple,to allow a question and answer period for these type of ideas.We are blacksmiths, so lets treat our ideas like our iron.When it's hot, take a hammer and move it around until it takes on a form you like and others can appreciate .Spread the word, Bruce C.

Hi all great to see every one at hammer in. I think the question an answer time would be great Bruce. I think Billys idea would be good also. Meeting monthly we can bring a lot of things forward that we just did not have enough time to before. Seeing all of the young people working in the fire was pretty cool I thought. New ideas and working together is a key here. I like it Bruce spread the word Bill

March 4, 2013
10:13 pm
Bert

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 20
33993sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all. Sounds like this got off the ground well. :bounce: When is the March date? I want to clue in my students so they can get an experience outside the school classroom. Should help with building membership. What is the status of non-members (guests) at the hammer-ins? I'm sure liability is an issue, :unsure: so they should know up front if they will have to join, or ?? Thanks. Bert

March 5, 2013
3:02 pm
N.W.B.A.

Moderators
Forum Posts: 72
33996sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bert;17504 wrote: Hi all. Sounds like this got off the ground well. :bounce: When is the March date? I want to clue in my students so they can get an experience outside the school classroom. Should help with building membership. What is the status of non-members (guests) at the hammer-ins? I'm sure liability is an issue, :unsure: so they should know up front if they will have to join, or ?? Thanks. Bert

The next Hammer In at the clubhouse in Longview is March 23, 2013, beginning at 9 AM into the late afternoon early evening.

Terry Carson will be demonstrating making S-hooks, bottle openers, and forks.

These events are for NWBA members only, and there has been instituted a new policy for a trial membership, $15 for 3 months, and if there are 3 hammer-ins in those 3 months that trial membership can get you into all 3.
The upcoming Hammer-in dates are: March 23, May 25, June 22. (April is the month for our Spring Conference- April 26-28, 2013)

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8710

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3532

Newest Members:

Lionel42, briana2211, LawlessForge, Jim Cameron, hsmac02, Theresa Mae Oborn, Anthony Parker-Hoang, PJF, Adamphipps, Jackstakes

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 539