Northwest Blacksmith Association

Historic Bridge Restoration Conference, Lansing Michigan March 2011 | Calendar of Events Announcements | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Historic Bridge Restoration Conference, Lansing Michigan March 2011
December 10, 2010
6:49 pm
Steve H

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 338
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you're interested in old iron, riveting or the current state of bridge restoration efforts, check out this conference. I had the pleasure to go last year and was really impressed with the efforts Vern Mesler is spearheading in his role as welding instructor at the Lansing Community College. Several speakers are contributors to the SIA, (Society of Industrial Archeology) and are well versed in old iron. David Simmons article "The continous clatter" is the best history I've read on the development of Boyer's famous 'long stroke' riveting hammer that changed the world.
In addition to the lectures there are two days of hands-on activies including riveting/repair, heat straightening, cast iron repair and forge welding of eye bars as done the old way.

Attached files

Conference Announcement (Iron and Steel Preservation 2011)[1].pdf (297.5 KB)Â

They only remember you when you SCREW UP~!!!

December 10, 2010
7:54 pm
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
22536sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are the MPT guys tied to this? Jeff who you met invited me out to there open house in March. I forget the date but I assume it's no coincidence ?

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

December 10, 2010
9:22 pm
Steve H

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 338
22540sp_Permalink sp_Print

The MPT guys are definately involved, Larry. Jeff had a killer display of riveting hammers and accessories that I was drooling over. He said they use 4340 for their rivet sets w/o problems. I woulda thought air-hard but toughness is a big part of the equation. Speaking of- Jeff is the one that inspired me to do what's pictured below. They make a spike driver for the 11" guns but as far as I know, no one makes rivet sets. I turned some 1 1/2" sets that I used on the press to make these rivets. Drove some with the press but not using the gun, yet. Perhaps it's time to set up our demo with your dad, although we want to make sure we've got plenty of air. Someone with a sullivan compressor perhaps?

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

They only remember you when you SCREW UP~!!!

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8724

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3537

Newest Members:

cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland, Jimekalmiya

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540