Northwest Blacksmith Association

Fall Conference 2012 Information and Registration Now Available | CONFERENCE PRE-REGISTRATIONS | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Fall Conference 2012 Information and Registration Now Available
July 17, 2012
5:11 pm
Amy Mook

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 82
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Information about the upcoming fall conference in Enumclaw, WA on September 21-23, 2012 is now available.
Online Registration is also available. Register early and receive a FREE CONFERENCE T-Shirt.
Go HERE to find out more.

July 17, 2012
9:23 pm
Mike Neely
Forum Posts: 32
32440sp_Permalink sp_Print

$18.00 per night to tent camp?

July 17, 2012
10:07 pm
Amy Mook

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 82
32441sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mike Neely;15835 wrote: $18.00 per night to tent camp?

Sorry to say that is the information I have, but I am in the process of nailing down the details, I will post any changes as I find them out. The payment for camping sites happens at the conference so hopefully the price will be less and you will be able to afford the tent camping.

July 17, 2012
10:58 pm
Mike Neely
Forum Posts: 32
32442sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for the info. Amy. The price for camping just seemed to me to be a little excessive. Guess I'm getting old......

July 18, 2012
3:16 am
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 572
32443sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why only one demonstrator, and a knife maker at that???!!! My brother Richard could be demonstrating...Not a "Master" knife maker, but pretty dammned good!!! I hope there is more in demonstrations, or I will not be making it.

July 18, 2012
3:21 am
Zachary Greig
Forum Posts: 43
32445sp_Permalink sp_Print

Going to be expensive. >.< Still totally worth it though. Will have to see how much I can save up in case there's another tail-gate sale or anything. 🙂

Because blacksmithing is totally Metal! /../

July 18, 2012
5:22 am
Ryan Wilson
Forum Posts: 204
32446sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree 18 bucks to plop in the grass or to park and sleep in your camper with no hookups is BS. But then again there is a reason why we don't have conferences at this site anymore unless we absolutely have to. HWY robbery. Its not just our group, the mountain man gun show no longer uses Enumclaw for much the same reason.

July 18, 2012
3:26 pm
N.W.B.A.

Moderators
Forum Posts: 72
32449sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lynn Gledhill;15838 wrote: Why only one demonstrator, and a knife maker at that???!!! My brother Richard could be demonstrating...Not a "Master" knife maker, but pretty dammned good!!! I hope there is more in demonstrations, or I will not be making it.

The article says explicitly that all the info is not available.
There will be 2 Demonstrators, at least 2 hands on instructors.
MORE INFORMATION COMING SOON.
That includes trying to find out more information about affordable camping options.
Thank you for your PATIENCE everyone, I will be getting more info up on the web as soon as I have it.

July 19, 2012
3:17 am
Bill Lodge

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 6
32455sp_Permalink sp_Print

let us have a blacksmith conf. and knife makers can have their own conf. with their clubs and get back to blacksmithing

July 19, 2012
7:49 am
Zachary Greig
32464sp_Permalink sp_Print

🙁 There are some who like both. Besides, isn't bladesmithing just a specialization of blacksmithing?

Now, having a couple general/ornamental smithing demonstrators, then one for knives and another for tools specifically, that'd be cool.

July 19, 2012
11:13 pm
Tom Ferry

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 76
32471sp_Permalink sp_Print

We are going to have another demonstrator, just waiting for a commitment and it will not be knife related. As far as the hands on area, there will be the normal 2 on Friday and 2 more on Saturday plus a repousse demonstration on Saturday morning by a new member. Again we are waiting on final commitments by all before we post names.

I really get tired of the whole knifemaker versus blacksmith argument. The NWBA is made up of all types of smiths and those who voice their needs get the attention. We are trying our best to meet the needs of all the membership but you must voice a suggestion or better yet volunteer at the conference to be heard.

Besides just because Bob Kramer is a Master Bladesmith does not mean you are going to see a knifemaking specific demo. His plan right now is to give a forge building demo which will consist of technology, materials and fuel economy. His day two plan is a heat treating demo which I can personally say that Bob excels at. Both of these fit the bill for general blacksmithing and not specifically knifemaking.

As Zachary stated having four demonstrators at every conference would be ideal but we can not afford four so we limit it to two and try to mix up the conferences in a similar way, the last Spring Con did not have anything knife related and this one is going to be geared more towards Blacksmith tooling and such.

Hope to see all of you there,

Tom

July 20, 2012
5:50 pm
Tom Ferry

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 76
32482sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have confirmed that our second demonstrator is Brent Bailey. His demo will consist of Tools and Design Elements for Blacksmithing.

Looks like this is shaping up to be another great conference.

Tom

July 21, 2012
5:52 am
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 572
32485sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Tom,

Did you get my pm that I am willing to teach a hands-on on traditional joinery??? From the stuff I learned at Darryl Nelson's garden gate class... I got the class cause I received an Al Bart grant to participate in the class.. I am very happy to give back to the NWBA... I have learned a terrific amount from the conferences and the forums...Give me a call or email or pm... I'd love to give back!!! Home 541-998-2370.

All the best,

Lynn

July 21, 2012
1:35 pm
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
32486sp_Permalink sp_Print

I spent half an hour on the phone with Brent the other day talking about what he hoped to demo and it sounds to me like its going to be one you dont want to miss... Brent is a really impressive tool maker and all around good guy...

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

July 24, 2012
1:49 am
Lee Cordochorea

NWBA Member

Board Member
Forum Posts: 595
32498sp_Permalink sp_Print

Larry L;15881 wrote: I spent half an hour on the phone with Brent the other day talking about what he hoped to demo and it sounds to me like its going to be one you dont want to miss... Brent is a really impressive tool maker and all around good guy...

I was able to attend Brent's demo at the ABANA conference back in '06. Great stuff! I'm really looking foreward to this Fall's conference!!:dance:

No matter where you go... there you are.

July 24, 2012
4:49 am
Zachary Greig
32500sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anyone coming through Kelso who is staying the whole conference and wants to carpool? Can pitch in for gas. 🙂

July 31, 2012
4:21 am
Zachary Greig
32558sp_Permalink sp_Print

Found a ride up. 🙂 So my question now is: What all should I bring up with me as far as gear? My set up is almost completely portable. Should I try to bring forge + anvil. Figured on bringing PPE at the very least, some tongs and hammers too.

August 2, 2012
3:00 am
Ryan Wilson
Forum Posts: 204
32570sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like a good lineup to me Tom!

If you plan a conference half as well as you make knifes we aught to be in for a great one!

August 25, 2012
2:46 am
Darleen "Rose" Harrod

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 1
32685sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi All,

Just curious how does the Tailgating work? Is there someone that we need to talk to, or is it show up and sale?

Thanks,
Rose of HammerFell Armoury llc

August 25, 2012
3:34 am
Neil Gustafson

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 186
32686sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good Morning,

It is VERY SIMPLE. You register for the Conference, You park your chariot in the Tailgate Sales section. You open up your display, open your tailgate or trunk, set your wares on a table you brought with you. If you wish to wander off the see the Conference, just let your neighbour know, leave a peanut butter container with a sign that says "Pay Me". NOBODY WILL STEAL ANYTHING. It's kind of neat to be with HONEST people.:happy:

Enjoy the journey.

Neil

As long as we are above our shoes, We know where we are.:happy:

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8724

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland, Jimekalmiya

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540