Northwest Blacksmith Association

2011 NWBA Fall Conf. to be Western States Blacksmith Conf. | Conferences | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2011 NWBA Fall Conf. to be Western States Blacksmith Conf.
November 22, 2010
6:48 am
J Wilson

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 426
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The Fall Conf. will be August 18-21 at Alpine Village Government Camp, OR. on Mount Hood Oregon. Some of the activity will be in Timberline Lodge. Nine Blacksmith Organizations are planning to participate. Additional information will be provided as planning progresses. Put it on YOUR calendar NOW.

My son is the Blacksmith

November 23, 2010
7:41 am
J Wilson

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 426
22058sp_Permalink sp_Print

Greetings Fellow Smiths,
Thanks to input and encouragement from you and the other groups, the Western States Blacksmith Conference 2011 is now a reality!
The Northwest Blacksmith Association is extending a warm invitation for you to join us in the return of the Western States Blacksmith Conference, to be held within the Alpine Village of Government Camp, located on Mt. Hood in northern Oregon. The WSC is intended to be a collaborative effort of the Western Regional Associations of the US and Canada. The event is planned for August 18, 19, 20 and 21 2011. All Western States Associations are invited and encouraged to sponsor a Demonstrator to represent your group. We, the Hosting group, will budget a stipend for expenses and a travel, depending on distance traveled.
We currently are planning 3 major Demo sites, so 15 slots need to be filled. We are inviting nine western groups, which mean most demonstrators would be expected to demo twice. In addition to the main demo’s, open to attendee’s only, there will also be a public demo area and a Hands On area. We also would like to introduce you to an exciting NWBA Event called Blacksmith Wars. Each participating Group is allowed to supply a six person team of smiths who will work together to design and build a Project within an allotted amount of time. NWBA will provide each group with 2 anvils’, 1 vise and 1 Forge. Teams can bring more Forging stations and Hand Tools, no Power Tools will be allowed. There will be cash prizes for the First 3 Places. This Event has been a huge crowd pleaser and a lot of Fun for the participating teams.
This venue was chosen with Families in mind, come early and stay late, spend your vacation, Fishing, Hiking, Camping and Skiing, yes I said Skiing, as the ski slopes on Mt. Hood are open until Labor Day. The Family activities are too numerous to mention them all in this Intro letter, however many more can be seen on the WSC link soon at http://www.blacksmith.org (remainder of text deleted)

My son is the Blacksmith

November 23, 2010
11:33 pm
Bill Cottrell
Forum Posts: 125
22064sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is one gathering I will be SURE to attend. Hard to imagine how many smiths will be in attendance for it.

January 20, 2011
4:28 pm
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
23661sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man.... I just sent this to my wife so I would be sure she set the dates aside, Then I got the phone call.. She said nope, we cant go thats the weekend of my friends wedding, we already have plane and hotel reservations... Man that reallly reallllly sucks...

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

January 20, 2011
5:54 pm
Lee Cordochorea

NWBA Member

Board Member
Forum Posts: 595
23662sp_Permalink sp_Print

Having a blacksmith at a wedding helps make the marriage strong. In ye olden dayes, the village smith would be expected to show up at weddings with hammer in hand. The word "wedding" is a derivitive of the word "welding."

So, Larry, you've some important work to do for your friends just by being there. Still you will be missed!

No matter where you go... there you are.

January 21, 2011
1:06 am
Eric G

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 146
23667sp_Permalink sp_Print

well it looks to be fun i should be there! it is before the oregon state fair and after the rocky mountian nationals...lookin forward to it!

January 22, 2011
8:35 pm
Grant
Forum Posts: 1420
23760sp_Permalink sp_Print

Western States Blacksmith Conference Website is now live! <----CLICK Just got the home page and the forum, but you can take a look and keep coming back! Leave some comments in the forum! Everyone here can help spread the word! Put this: LINK --> WESTERN STATES BLACKSMITH CONFERENCE
in your signature at EVERY forum you frequent!

“There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,
transform a yellow spot into the sun.” ~ Pablo Picasso ~

January 23, 2011
2:59 am
Grant
23766sp_Permalink sp_Print

I need your memories of Mountain High. Give the young pups and newbees your retrospective. Tell everyone what you remember. I want to make a page for the Western States website.

but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,

January 23, 2011
4:05 am
Gene C
Forum Posts: 504
23768sp_Permalink sp_Print

Grant I'll dig through my photos, have a few of The Timberline conference. Maybe a short story or two, Gary and I were there. Have some pictures, jpeg, 90dpi, 4 X 6 OK or let me know.

Gene

February 4, 2011
6:15 am
Grant
24288sp_Permalink sp_Print

Master blacksmith Darryl Nelson Crafted these hammers for the winning team at Blacksmith Wars at the Western States Blacksmith Conference in August. Master Bladesmith Tom Ferry worked his magic on the detailed engraving.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

February 4, 2011
7:20 am
Guests
24290sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice

July 3, 2011
5:59 pm
Bert

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 20
27743sp_Permalink sp_Print

$115 to pre-register. $25 for dinner. Do I have to pay the $115 for my wife, or just add another $25 for her to dine with me?
I am really looking forward to this conference......:bounce:

July 4, 2011
12:30 am
Grant
27753sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bert;11011 wrote: $115 to pre-register. $25 for dinner. Do I have to pay the $115 for my wife, or just add another $25 for her to dine with me?
I am really looking forward to this conference......:bounce:

You'll have to pay $115 for her IF she will be attending the demonstrations.

August 12, 2011
3:27 am
Rashelle

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 292
28446sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello,

I've got a couple quick questions about the conference. Never having been to one before I'm a little lost as to what's up. I'm probly only going to make it on the Saturday, But I went ahead and pre-registered and paid anyway. I think from reading one of the threads somewhere that I then pick up my badge at the entrance to the fairgrounds or something like that? And at that point one can register to try to attend either the hands on or demonstrations as long as one is a member of one of the blacksmith groups. So that is also at the entrance to the fairgrounds? I've read multiple start times somewhere it said 08:00 and somewhere it said 09:00. So what time should I aim to be there also? If one is going to try to get in on a hands on class I take it I should be wearing appropriate clothing, jeans, cotton, steel toed boots, bring safety glasses and probly my favorite hammer?

From a newcomers perspective is there anything else I should know or bring or do?

Rashelle

August 12, 2011
3:36 am
Grant
28447sp_Permalink sp_Print

8:00, 9:00, whatever. No fairgrounds to it, it's spread around the Alpine Village of Government Camp. Cotton clothing, the rest depends on whether you want to watch or partake. Might as well join the NWBA if you haven't already.

August 12, 2011
3:46 am
Rashelle

NWBA Member
28448sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Grant. I am hoping to do both. It'd be nice to participate, though it's all good and even watching I am sure I'll be a happy camper just getting to be there. I've joined the Fort Vancouvers Trade guild and was/ am thinking of joining the NWBA a little further along as finances permit.

August 12, 2011
2:14 pm
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
28454sp_Permalink sp_Print

One thing you'll find Rashelle is there will be lots of people who will help get you going.. But many times you have to seek them out... It can be a challenge to really nail down particulars as things sometimes morph out of necessity. Its a safe bet to bring your hammer and attire that you would forge in at home.... Take the same things you would take to a class or workshop and you should be fine...
Two of our female members who I would suggest you get to know are Andrea Lisch and Lisa Geertsen... They both have been involved in the planing of this conference and have heavily been involved in its organization (Plus they are just great people to know) There are many others who will want to make sure your first experience is a good one so you'll want to keep coming back... Dont be afraid to grab someone as ask questions though, either about whats going on or questions about the demo or workshop... We all attended our first conference at some point and understand how daunting it can be.

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

August 13, 2011
2:00 am
Rashelle

NWBA Member
28458sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cool and thanks Larry. I'll be sure to ask questions as they pop into my head as I realize what needs (or at least seems to me to need) to be asked.

Is there a location or person to find to pick up the badge for to be able to see the demo's/ hands on stuff?

August 13, 2011
4:18 am
Grant
28463sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rashelle: Have I got good news for you! We actually have a one-day pass for $70.00. Hard to give refunds, especially after Paypal has taken their cut. How would you feel about a one year membership and Saturday night dinner?

August 13, 2011
6:39 am
Rashelle

NWBA Member
28465sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you Grant. I'm grinning from ear to ear and bouncing up and down. :bounce: That would be cool and very appreciated. I'm excited and a very happy camper. I can't wait. Needless to say that sounds very good.

Rashelle

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8710

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3532

Newest Members:

Lionel42, briana2211, LawlessForge, Jim Cameron, hsmac02, Theresa Mae Oborn, Anthony Parker-Hoang, PJF, Adamphipps, Jackstakes

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 539