1820's Cannons from the U.S.S.Shark | Blacksmith Show and Tell | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
1820's Cannons from the U.S.S.Shark
April 8, 2014
12:43 pm
Dave Curl
Naselle, Wa.
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello all. I am Dave Curl. Been a member for a while and have just recently stepped off the cliff to full time. 

One of our current jobs is forging reproduction ironwork for the skids and sliders for two of the original cannons from the USS Shark that were recovered from Arch Cape in 2008. The cannons were shipped to Texas A&M for restoration and are now in the hands of the Columbia River Maritime Museum. Our job is to reproduce copies of the original iron used in 1821 when the Shark was built. The assemblies include the shipboard mounts manufactured in much the same way as they were in 1821. COOL BEANS!

Tim Kennedy of Blind Moses Woodworking is doing the wood work and I am doing the iron. 

This has got to be one of those rare and challenging jobs that we blacksmiths love. It certainly is exciting. This morning I was getting some measurements at the museum and I got to inspect one of the officers swords from the same shipwreck. It was awesome! I could still see the detailed work in the bone handle and the scabbard tip. The museum has X-rays of the sword (It is currently in as found condition) and they show all the detail that went into the making of these fine swords.   I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Dave

Solstice Forge

April 8, 2014
11:33 pm
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 572

Wow!  Fun stuff Dave!  Should be really interesting... Would love to have a shot at that.

April 10, 2014
10:58 am
Dave Curl
Naselle, Wa.
Forum Posts: 9

Hey Lynn. I will send you some photo's later today. Got the forge hot and got to get back to work.

Happy forging

Dave

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8722

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3537

Newest Members:

RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland, Jimekalmiya, George_Kelley, Roger Hayden

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540