Northwest Blacksmith Association

Another Craigslist Score: Craftsman 103.23131 Bench Model Drill Press | Look What I scored! | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Another Craigslist Score: Craftsman 103.23131 Bench Model Drill Press
September 23, 2011
1:49 am
Paul W
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I've been watching for a small vintage bench model drill press for a while. Most times, I'm usually too late or they're asking a ridiculous amount of money for a hacked up pile of rust. As usual, I searched Craigslist over this mornings coffee & found this little gem. The fellow had it listed for $65. It is very clean & in very good shape. It came with the original chuck key, wrench for adjusting the belt tension, brochure & manual. It apppears to be the original belt also. It was covered with a light coat of grease. I will clean her up when I'm back up to speed. The only thing I noticed missing was the pc of trim that goes below the Craftsman tag on top. My son had to make some room in the garage but here she be with a light film of grease:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

September 23, 2011
2:49 am
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 572
28952sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul W;12261 wrote: I've been watching for a small vintage bench model drill press for a while. Most times, I'm usually too late or they're asking a ridiculous amount of money for a hacked up pile of rust. As usual, I searched Craigslist over this mornings coffee & found this little gem. The fellow had it listed for $65. It is very clean & in very good shape. It came with the original chuck key, wrench for adjusting the belt tension, brochure & manual. It apppears to be the original belt also. It was covered with a light coat of grease. I will clean her up when I'm back up to speed. The only thing I noticed missing was the pc of trim that goes below the Craftsman tag on top. My son had to make some room in the garage but here she be with a light film of grease:

Damn sweet for $65 bucks... Harbor Freight charges $45 on sale for a piece of cheese.!!! Maybe never heard the story of "a piece of cheese." My son worked at an auto shop, had one employee, from Peruvian descent... Any time he was working on a car that he thought was a piece of:poop: Then he'd say, " It's a piece of shheeets." Hence the piece of cheese story. You could have bought a much lesser quality machine from Harbor Freight for the same money!! A piece of cheese!!:bounce:

September 23, 2011
3:06 am
Grant
Forum Posts: 1420
28954sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like a great 50's era machine. Good score!

Gee, I see a lathe and a band saw and a shaper and a (what) mill/drill?

“There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,
transform a yellow spot into the sun.” ~ Pablo Picasso ~

September 23, 2011
3:38 am
Paul W
28956sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks gents & an accurate observation Grant. There's alot more buried in there. Another Craigslist find that was saved from the scrap heap was the Marvel #2 Drawcut power hacksaw. Guy had it listed for quite some time. His final listing stated that if it didn't sell, he was gonna haul it to the scrappers. Couldn't let that happen so I drove out to look it over & brought it home. The lathe is a Logan 820, South Bend 7" shaper. The mill/drill is an Industrial Hobbies with DRO set-up. The bandsaw is a HF brand that has a gear reducer installed on it that a friend hardly used after he converted it to cut steel. There's also a Jet 5x6 horizontal. It's all stuffed in an oversized single car attached garage. Everything was moved out to pipe new electric, insulate, drywall & install shelving. Everything was shoved back in & needs to be cleaned out & organized.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

September 25, 2011
2:28 pm
JimB
Forum Posts: 327
28971sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm always looking for deals on CraigsList, but they never seem to come my way. Both are great scores!

█▐▐█▐▐ ▌█▐ ▌▐

September 25, 2011
3:32 pm
Paul W
28972sp_Permalink sp_Print

JimB, I've missed quite a few. It's usually a case of finding it during the week, & gone by the time you can get to look at it (weekend for me) You have to be able to move on them quick. They usually don't last long.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8724

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland, Jimekalmiya

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540