Conference 2014, Dutch oven cook out | NWBA Announcements | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Conference 2014, Dutch oven cook out
March 21, 2014
8:15 am
Bruce Crittenden

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 109
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Greetings all, 

Some questions have arisen about the proposed Dutch oven cook out which is scheduled for Friday ,May 16 ( afternoon from 4 to 6 pm. This is an informal event. There's no rules or categories . Just be there with your equipment and supplies. The cooking area will be just outside the main demo area . This is a gravel lot . The fire inspector has made a few recommendations which we will need to follow for safety reasons.  CHARCOAL.   ONLY! 

Any food , any person ,any amount of sharing, start your cooking early so it can be ready for people to sample by 5:00  . Not a competition , your only prize will be Bragging Rights and spectator approval of YUMMS.  We will have an area where fire must be watched and extinguished when completed. Call the conference co chairs with questions ,comments and suggestions. Don't forget clean up!

April 8, 2014
5:12 pm
Eric Sprado

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 383

How about propane cooker? Seems even safer than charcoal???

April 9, 2014
5:54 pm
Lee Cordochorea

NWBA Member

Board Member
Forum Posts: 595

Wouldn't it be kinda tricky to bury a dutch oven in a propane cooker?

No matter where you go... there you are.

April 9, 2014
9:21 pm
Eric Sprado

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 383

Nobody said we had to bury the dutch ovens. I've been cooking in my dutch oven longer than lots of folks have been alive. Grew up in cow camps and most cooking was done on top of a fire. Sometimes we'd fry chicken and bury oven in coals but that is not the ONLY way to cook in one. If I'm not allowed to cook on top of a fire somebody will miss out on some damned good cow camp pozole. Didn't know there were "method" rules to this deal. Guess I'll bow out. Anybody wants to try my cooking can stop by my travel trailer where the pot is always on.

April 10, 2014
10:38 am
Amy Mook

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 82

Eric,
In my recollection there are really no rules, no judges, just an invitation to join in a cookout.
Of course, really there is always the #1 rule, Safety First. But,
Especially trusting your judgement and experience I welcome you to share your foodie treats!

April 13, 2014
12:49 pm
craig

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 61

I cook in my dutch using charcoal all the time, I have often used a old forge to set it on and let it cook all day, checking every hour or so. Charcoal is very  easy to regulate the heat, because it burns a a predictable rate.

I don't want to be the only entry!

craig

April 13, 2014
6:08 pm
craig

NWBA Member

Here is what is received from Janice Crittenden

"The area is outside. We can not have fires under any roofs.  You may supplement the charcoal with small fire wood. We are approved for small recreational fires. We cannot have a Bon fire. I have made a commitment to the fire Marshall that we will be having a safe affair."

--------------------------------------

Eric, my guess is, that should be enough fire for you to cook over?

She also said they would be bring some alder fire wood.

craig

April 13, 2014
6:22 pm
Bruce Crittenden

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 109

Hey, Dutch oven cookers! 

Dont worry about any rules ,if you read the first comment about this event you will see ,,,,,there are no rules. If you want to cook on propane ,,,do it . If you prefer charcoal or a small wood fire,,,DO IT . It's ok to use your own methods  just no BONFIRES!!!!! Having a  good time is what it is all about. Eric , I am taking you up on some cow camp chow!!

May 21, 2014
6:56 am
craig

NWBA Member

For those that missed the cook off, John Harris cooked baked beans, rice and BBQ-ed boneless Pork. His meal finished a little early, so he started serving a little before 5 pm and at about 5pm his food was gone.

I finished at 5pm with a whole Pork Shoulder and Russet potatoes that disappeared in a matter of a few minutes. I was a little worried, I  planned on starting my cooking at 9 am, but didn't start until around noon because I have unexpected conflict in the morning. I layered on the heat and somehow finished on time. 

John even picked up a new pot that a member brought and sold to him when I was not paying attention. The members eating seemed to enjoy the food and chipped in enough, to pay for the food. Fortunately John thought ahead and brought plates and plastic ware for everyone.

Judging from how the pots were picked clean so fast, I'd guess, everyone enjoyed the food.

We are sorry for those that missed out because the food ran out, but it was the first time doing this and we did not know what to expect. We were not sure who was coming and or cooking or eating.  We will work out the bugs.

We had a couple other members willing to step up and add more ovens full of food for the next conference, on Friday night, maybe this time we will be better organized and have enough food.

I'd like to thank John for stepping up and everyone that cleaned out the pots of food, it was fun to do!

Thanks

Craig

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8722

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3537

Newest Members:

RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland, Jimekalmiya, George_Kelley, Roger Hayden

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540