ITC-100HT Ceramic Coating for Refractories | Problem Solving | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
ITC-100HT Ceramic Coating for Refractories
January 20, 2016
12:36 am
kemp_l
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

ITC-100HT Ceramic Coating for Refractories. Is there something like the itc-100 that is cheaper to use?

I want to make a forge with the portland cement, sand, Perlite, and clay. But I was thinking the the itc would protect the cement from the heat. Problem is 100 bucks or so cost. Is there a cheaper option for reflecting heat from the concrete?

January 20, 2016
11:32 am
Rashelle

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 292

What sort of forge are you trying to make? Portland cement and clay won't make a good lining for a propane forge. ITC would be useless in a solid fuel forge. It's not the cost of the ITC that adds up it's the refractory that underlies the ITC that add up in cost.

January 20, 2016
5:36 pm
Lee Cordochorea

NWBA Member

Board Member
Forum Posts: 595

Portland cement is, as Rashelle says, not good for forges. It has a tendency to spall at higher temperatures. Perlite/vermiculite & clay by themselves will suffice. If you want something stronger you can use refractory cement. A couple thousand years ago, Theophilus used straw, sand, and clay. The straw burns out to make insulating air spaces.

The $100 for ITC-100 is for a whole gallon. You might find folk willing to go in with you. (I'll take a quart. Now find two other folk!)

There are indeed substitutes for ITC-100. One is called "Plistex." One is called "Metrikote." I have no information on their performance. Both cost much less than the ITC product. Note well there are five different "Plistex" products made by Plibrico. I don't know which is which.

ITC-100's claim-to-fame is reflecting infrared (heat) back into the chamber. I don't know the formula for it; it's a "proprietary" formula. I very strongly suspect it contains titanium dioxide. Titanium dioxide is the "titanium white" pigment used to make paint. Others claim it is 70% zirconia & 30% kaolin by weight. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

I plan on experimenting with ITC-100 substitutes myself. One of the mixes I was going to try is sodium silicate & magnesium silicate. Sodium silicate is available from fireplace supply places & floor finishing places. Magnesium silicate is talcum powder. (That's "talcum powder," but not "baby powder." We don't need or want cornstarch or perfumes in the mix.)

Here's another formula from my notes - no clue where it originated, my apologies to the source:

15 parts by weight calcined kaolin
15 parts by weight kaolin
2 parts by weight titanium dioxide
70 parts by weight zircon flour

No matter where you go... there you are.

January 20, 2016
6:24 pm
Rashelle

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 292

Wayne Coe has information on forge builds on his web site as well as will sell a couple of the reflective coatings metrikote and I think it was plistix in 5 lbs bags.

January 20, 2016
8:53 pm
Scott Rash

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 168

My forge is lined with refractory with no coating.  I can't remember exactly which refractory, possibly Kast-O-Lite 3000 ($15/5lbs on Wayne Coe's site).  It has granules of alumina and quartz that reflect light back into the forge, and at heat is almost white.  The forge gets up to welding heat.  While I'm guessing a coating over the refractory could improve performance, it isn't totally necessary.  If I were on a budget I'd start by finding the best refractory for the buck.

January 20, 2016
9:23 pm
cawleyforge

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 8

I bought a quantity of ITC 100 a few years back and would be willing to sell some if you are interested. I'll check how much I have left. 

Will you be at Kelso this Saturday?

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8710

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3532

Newest Members:

Lionel42, briana2211, LawlessForge, Jim Cameron, hsmac02, Theresa Mae Oborn, Anthony Parker-Hoang, PJF, Adamphipps, Jackstakes

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 539