Twisting 1018 cold rolled | Problem Solving | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Twisting 1018 cold rolled
December 1, 2013
6:16 pm
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 572
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey all:

I have a gate to build which requires around 120 feet of twisted square bar...  Looked at King Metals... Shipping too much... Can't get it locally... Hard to heat a 6 foot bar evenly enough to twist evenly.  So, I bought 12 foot sticks of 1018 thinking I could twist them cold... Not working...CryCryCry They are like 12 foot springs... 6 foot cheater on the twisting wrench and the bars just come back to where they were... Do I need to normalize them before attempting twisting???Confused

December 2, 2013
10:45 am
Mike J

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 19

Hi Lynn, Yes nomalizing will make it easier but nomalization should be performed evenly to make an even twist. I usually use a two handed twisting wrench and a "movable" support to hold the end I'm twisting at the same hight at the vise holding the other end.

Mike

December 2, 2013
11:21 pm
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member

Mike J said
Hi Lynn, Yes nomalizing will make it easier but nomalization should be performed evenly to make an even twist. I usually use a two handed twisting wrench and a "movable" support to hold the end I'm twisting at the same hight at the vise holding the other end.

Mike

Hey Mike:  Thanks for the reply... I normalized the bars today... put them thru the forge on rollers... tried to heat evenly and let air cool... Had to straighten most of them 'cause there is not a flat or level floor in my shop and getting rollers and supports at the right height is impossible...  Started trying to straighten on the anvil, but soon realized that the Hossfeld was faster, easier, better..  Then chucked up the bar in the post vise, supported both ends with a roller, stuck a 10 foot piece of 1" pipe over the bar, and used two 32" cheaters on my twisting wrench...  Only twisted one bar... mind you these are 12 foot bars of 1/2" square...  6 complete twists and beautiful!!! Came out even and perfect!! SurprisedSurprised Lot of freakin' work by myself...  I have my friend and student, Alan, coming over tomorrow afternoon to help twist the rest of the bars... He's a big, much younger guy than myself, so shouldn't be too difficult to twist the rest of the bars...  I'll put up some pic's tomorrow...

Lynn

December 7, 2013
8:01 pm
Eric Sprado

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 383

Lynn: As usual, you are ignoring local resources. Our friend David Thompson,many years ago, used to do lots of twisting for commercial stuff. He still,I believe,has his benders that he made from old transmissions etc.. Talk to him!!!! Eric

December 9, 2013
8:33 pm
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member

Hey Eric:  So happy to hear from you!!!   Hope you are well, my friend...  I did talk to Davy...  He used to have a motor powered machine that could twist 20 foot bars cold... He no longer has that...  He also told me that he has not twisted A36 or hot rolled in 20 years...  The steel we buy now is not the same we could get even 10 years ago...

I had good success twisting these 1/2" square bars, 12 feet in length... I did normalize them before twisting...

Davy has become a good friend, like you, and I very often call him for info... I am not really ignoring local resources... I just want to try first, to figure it out for myself..

Eric Sprado said 
Lynn: As usual, you are ignoring local resources. Our friend David Thompson,many years ago, used to do lots of twisting for commercial stuff. He still,I believe,has his benders that he made from old transmissions etc.. Talk to him!!!! 

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8724

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3537

Newest Members:

cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland, Jimekalmiya

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540