And where were you in 1978? | Page 2 | Sorta Like Blacksmithing | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
And where were you in 1978?
May 3, 2011
3:32 pm
Ries

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 318
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
26639sp_Permalink sp_Print

I cant even remember what I have forgotten...
But I am sure I knew something, once.

May 3, 2011
3:40 pm
Bruce Macmillan
Forum Posts: 625
26640sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it weren't for flashbacks from 1978 I'd have no memory of it at all..........Cool

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
Dr. Seuss

May 4, 2011
6:06 am
Harold & Beth

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 62
26653sp_Permalink sp_Print

1978-married 1 year (still happily married) . Been repairing oxy-acet equipment 4 years, still doing doing that, except that now I own the company and the headaches that go with that. Driving and killing what are now collectors cars, and enjoying it.

May 4, 2011
6:10 am
Grant
Forum Posts: 1420
26654sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny, I was just tagged in this 1978 picture on Facebook:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

“There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,
transform a yellow spot into the sun.” ~ Pablo Picasso ~

May 4, 2011
7:56 am
buggyma
Forum Posts: 2
26656sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I was a TVCC Chucker; wrestling, riding my 10 speedbike, broke college boy 🙂

buggyman

May 8, 2011
8:52 pm
Rob F
Forum Posts: 171
26732sp_Permalink sp_Print

I seem to have fuzzy memory of all the adults talking about what was going to happen to all the houses painted with lead paint since it was just banned. At least us schoolchildren would not be able to chew on yellow pencils with lead paint on them anymore.:skull:

May 24, 2011
7:46 pm
Dave Hammer
Forum Posts: 114
27059sp_Permalink sp_Print

Albuquerque, NM. And loving it. Working on computers with Sandia Labs.

Grandkids and blacksmithing... Joy Joy Joy..............................YouTube Channel: djhammerd

May 24, 2011
8:21 pm
Bruce Macmillan
Forum Posts: 625
27060sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rob F;9957 wrote: I seem to have fuzzy memory of all the adults talking about what was going to happen to all the houses painted with lead paint since it was just banned. At least us schoolchildren would not be able to chew on yellow pencils with lead paint on them anymore.:skull:

Asbestos was just as prevalent, remember all the houses with those stylish shingles on the siding and roof? Then they probly painted what was left in lead paint....:skull::skull:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
Dr. Seuss

June 9, 2011
5:04 pm
Steve H

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 338
27363sp_Permalink sp_Print

I remember getting crushed at the gates of a Styx concert in my hometown of Rochester, NY. Damn scary. Less than a year later 11 people died at a WHO concert in Cincinnati forever ending the free-love era of General Admission concert tickets:furious:

They only remember you when you SCREW UP~!!!

June 16, 2011
4:24 pm
David Edgar
Forum Posts: 28
27517sp_Permalink sp_Print

Making Combine Harvesters for Massey Ferguson in Kilmarnock, Scotland. To earn some cash in my spare time I made gates,grilles etc, cut and weld frames and fill with scrolls,nothing artistic, all the time wanting to do forging, but there wasn't a blacksmith in my area to learn from and no internet, so I got on with my life until I got the bug again in '96. Got all the gear now but still not much of an idea. Been self employed last 30 years, still welding but now designing and making sand blasters for the restoration business. Too busy to do much forging. Life's a bitch.

June 16, 2011
4:34 pm
Ries

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 318
27518sp_Permalink sp_Print

At first I thought you were making scrolls for the grilles of Combine Harvesters- now that would be a good blacksmithing job...

Kind of like Wim Delvoye's laser cut machines-

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

June 17, 2011
3:36 pm
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
27526sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ries;10772 wrote: At first I thought you were making scrolls for the grilles of Combine Harvesters- now that would be a good blacksmithing job...

Kind of like Wim Delvoye's laser cut machines-

That thing is cool.... Im going to do some diggin on Wim, never heard of until now

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

November 19, 2011
1:47 am
Roy Edward
Forum Posts: 11
29879sp_Permalink sp_Print

In 78, I was on Willow Creek Ranch outside of Monument Oregon. Every fall I worked for the LS ranch doing fall roundup on the 3 million acres of BLM that they ran cattle on, during the summers I cleaned horse stalls and the cattle barn for them and when they needed it I milked for them, the rest of the year I went to school, knapped arrowheads, collected obsidian, collected rocks and did the general farm chores. 78 was the year before I was adopted by teachers in Portland and taken away from my mountains...

My foster dad Cliff at the time was a master carpenter and had a shop to die for, he taught me small engine mechanics, carpentry, and some amount of metal working skills in fixing implements we had on the place. I went back when I was 17 after I graduated HS and my adopted parents allowed me to leave, I learned even more from Cliff. The world has some very special people in it and Cliff was one of them.

November 20, 2011
2:55 am
tony flesher
Forum Posts: 14
29897sp_Permalink sp_Print

In 1978 I was a senor in webb city high school working to get my first truck, learing farm work and how to repair most everything that made the farm run smothly. and understanding that the farm would not pay as well as the factory. but the knowage I had ganed on the farm worked well in the factory. my black smithing instrest did not come till I was 30 years older and was on my own farm just me and the wife.:happy:

November 20, 2011
7:24 pm
Iain Heyworth
Forum Posts: 43
29904sp_Permalink sp_Print

Grant;9873 wrote: Funny, I was just tagged in this 1978 picture on Facebook:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Wow, if this picture was taken in August of '78-(I was born on 7/24)...I was likely only a few weeks old and busy dirtying diapers and spitting up all over the place.
Grant....those adzes of yours, did you ever paint them red?

December 3, 2011
12:23 am
Stretch
Forum Posts: 117
30076sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was living on a trapline in Central BC Canada with my wife and 1 year old son. We were 30 miles to the nearest ranch and 135 miles by helicopter west of Williams Lake. Used a dog for transport and as a logging truck. Pulling in fence rails from about 1/2 mile away. Getting it done before the snow went.

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8724

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3537

Newest Members:

cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland, Jimekalmiya

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540