Don Kemper Sr Passed Away June 30, 2104 | NWBA Announcements | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Don Kemper Sr Passed Away June 30, 2104
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
July 3, 2014
6:32 am
admin
Admin
Forum Posts: 540
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It is with a sad heart that we learn of Don Kemper, Sr. passing. According to the news on KOIN.com "There were no witnesses to the apparent accidental drowning, and an investigation reveals Kemper was boating alone, the Clark County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement." Various details can be found online.

(originally Don's passing…

July 7, 2014
6:06 pm
Mike Neely
Forum Posts: 32

A lot of Northwest smiths got their start in Don Kemper's blacksmith shop. My first formal lesson was with Darryl Nelson at Don's shop. He was a fine, gentle man with a treasure of knowledge and a tool collection to envy. He was always the first guy at the tailgate sales. He was great at "name that tool."

Don forged for years and years at the Clark County Fair. He educated generations of fair goers about blacksmithing, broom making, and much more. He was also one of the great Presidents of the NWBA and was the person who started the NWBA library.

Next time I go to a conference, I'll probably find myself looking around for guy in the black Carhartts. Good thoughts and best wishes to Don's family.

July 8, 2014
1:39 pm
Donk

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 29

My father was doing his second favorite activity after Blacksmithing, Fishing.  He was just around the corner up the Lewis River from his cabin when he had his accident on July 1st. It is believed that he struck his head while falling overboard. He had fished that river all of his life and loved his time on it.

A Celebration of Life/Memorial Service will be held at the First Presbyterian Church at 4300 Main St. Vancouver, WA 98663 at 1PM on Saturday July 26th, 2014.  (Located just off of I-5 in Vancouver,USA).

Please remember that his goal as noted in the interview above was that it was our responsibility to share our heritage with the younger generations.  He loved blacksmithing and the NWBA and I will miss arguing with him about what tools we should buy at a good tailgate sale.  The shop is a little smaller now that I don't have to worry about him sneaking up on me when I was focusing on a job, I still turn around expecting to see him standing there smirking at me.

He had attended the last mentoring center event with Joe Elliot and I heard him mention to Darryl that he thought it was turning out great for the group.Full speed ahead.

Joyce, Chase and I hope to see you folks soon.  Lots of fairs to cover this summer.

Thanks,

-DONK

July 8, 2014
4:33 pm
craig

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 61

I'm so sorry to hear this, I first met Don in a wood turning club, 25 or more years ago, that we belonged to. Don was a outstanding wood turner too.

Don will be missed by a lot of people he touched, in the many activities he was involved in.

Craig

July 10, 2014
7:12 pm
Bert

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 20

So sad to hear that Don is no longer with us. I always enjoyed talking with him at the conferences. Same as Mike, I got my first taste of blacksmithing at Don's shop under the tutelage of Daryl Nelson. Best wishes to his family. I'm sorry for your loss.

July 11, 2014
9:18 pm
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566

Sorry to say I wont be able to attend the service,  I will be there is spirit.   I know it goes without saying but if any of us can do anything Donk let us know.   You know we are all just a phone call away.   

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8725

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

churndashmaven, cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540