Black Smoke Alley returns Spring conf 2024! | Conferences | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Black Smoke Alley returns Spring conf 2024!
February 8, 2024
12:17 pm
danielpartin

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 32
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We're gonna bring back Black Smoke Alley at the spring conference.

My first conference was a few years ago, but after BSA had faded away (like a puff of something...) There will be a few coal forges, and anvils (and misc) for use. Old stories and bullsh!tting will be encouraged (at least by me). We're planning on running in the eve after dinner until ?

I don't have a lot of experience with coal, and at least one of the forges I'm bringing has sat for many years unused. I'm in the process of tearing it apart and rebuilding it. Another is a friend's made out of an old truck wheel and vacuum cleaner guts (that one I'm more confident in). I believe we talked about having at least 3 or 4 stations, but that is still in flux.

Just letting you all know. The space we have allocated to us is kinda limited, but if you're a coal user, please let me know! 

February 11, 2024
7:27 am
billyO

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 235

Hi Daniel.
I see on the schedule there is a cutlery competition on Saturday?

This is the first I'm seeing of this, any details you can share?
Thanks

as always

peace and love

billyO

February 11, 2024
10:24 pm
danielpartin

NWBA Member

from what I know, we are going to have a table out at lunch on Saturday for review. It might be a applaud for voting type of thing. There will be something. I think the agreement was that the winner(s) would be announced at the dinner that night (they will be announced at some point)

If you have something to move food around and it does something to make food go in the general direction of a face hole (we don't judge) bring it and we will judge! Well, you all will judge. 

I don't thing prizes were discussed. For my part, I'm happy with "YOU WIN!" or "YOU ENTERED!" but let me know if you think about prizes, I can pass that along.

I'm planning on bringing the set that I brought last year, with maybe a couple of additions. A couple of other people have said they would bring. We will definitely have something. 

Bring something!! The table will be there! I really want more participation of these sorta things. The blanket toss/swap is in the works, black smoke alley, eagle eye, etc. I do believe that I was veto'd on the "NWBA swimsuit competition" but maybe someday... (never)

Thanks for asking

February 12, 2024
6:35 pm
danielpartin

NWBA Member

I realized tonight that maybe I missed your question's point? Just in case. The cutlery competition is something that we kinda tried last year.

This year there will be a table set out at lunch time for review.

Here is the info from last year. There was a bit more in the Hot Iron News that came out before the conference, but this is the jist.

snip.

To cut down on disposable plates and utensils used during meals at the Cook Shack, we introduce this Make your own Mess Kit Competition. To join the competition, forge one or more utensils and make them as simple or complex as you like. You can include a plate or bowl that you made by hand or just bring one that you use at home.

Bring your mess kit with hand forged utensils to the Dinner Banquet on Saturday evening to enter it in the competition for prizes! Prizes will be awarded for creativity and craftsmanship. Even if you don’t forge your own cutlery for the competition, we encourage everyone to bring a mess kit for meals at the Cook Shack!

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
31 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8725

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

churndashmaven, cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540