Smallish bits of 4340 | For Sale | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Smallish bits of 4340
April 17, 2010
12:16 pm
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have started sorting through some of the steel I bought at a local aerospace auction. One of the things I got is 22 of these "pucks" they are 4340. The original bits are 4 3/4 round 2" long and weigh 10 lbs... I can knock them down to a rough 2" X 2" X 9" block in two heats which would be about right for two large hammers (or three small ones)

Online metals gets $6.90 per inch of 2 1/4 round (about the same volume as 2" sq) so 9" would cost $62

I'll sell you a "puck" for $15 or break it down to any square size you want (two heat minimum so not much smaller than 1 1/2 square) for $25, Two broke down for $40, four for $70

4 just "pucks" for $50

Anything that will go in a flat rate box shipped for $11

Online metals 4340 page
Image Enlarger

I also have some 6" round 4340 and some 5.5" round.... I have a bit of 15-5 stainless.... A bunch of about 3.5" round slugs maybe 8" long that are marked m-4... a bunch of small cubes 4130 and vairous other bits....
Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

All came from a aerospace shop so most have cert, heat and lot info tags.... The M-4 stuff just had M-4 wrote on it in sharpie with no tag....

If you have any interest in anything shoot me a message.. I am open to offers or package deals, I just got so much of this Id like to sell a bit to recoup some of my dough and maybe spread some good stuff around 😀

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

April 17, 2010
10:12 pm
Grant
Forum Posts: 1420
18091sp_Permalink sp_Print

TWO HEATS! What are ya using, a 50lb Little Giant? Pretty cool stuff Larry, and a good price too.

DuraTech M4 high speed steel is an extremely versatile high speed steel which provides a unique combination of high wear resistance with high impact toughness and transverse bend strength. A large volume of vanadium carbides provides the high wear resistance. The high impact toughness and high transverse bend strength are results of the fine grain size, small carbides, and superior cleanliness of the powder metallurgy (PM) microstructure. DuraTech M4 offers improved cutting tool life compared to conventionally-wrought M1, M2, M7, and other lower-alloyed high speed steels. DuraTech M4 also excels in cold work tooling applications, where it provides better toughness and wear resistance than high-carbon, high-chromium die steels such as D2 and D3.
Information Provided by Timken Latrobe Steel.

“There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,
transform a yellow spot into the sun.” ~ Pablo Picasso ~

April 20, 2010
4:16 am
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
18098sp_Permalink sp_Print

I posted you a video grant so you can tell me what I am doing wrong....

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8725

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

churndashmaven, cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran, redwoodforgeoakland

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540