Spring Conference 2013, April 26-28 | CONFERENCE PRE-REGISTRATIONS | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Spring Conference 2013, April 26-28
February 14, 2013
3:03 pm
Amy Mook

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 82
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

April 26-28, 2013
Longview, Washington

• Demonstrators
  • Hands-On
  • First Forging Station
  • Evening Open Forges
  • Members' Art Gallery
  • Auction and Banquet
  • Library
  • Archives
  • Tailgaters
  • and more to be announced soon

Demonstrators:
Berkley Tack: An NWBA member for many, many years, Berkley Tack is from Rainier, Oregon and is a full time Master Smith. More info from Berkley is coming in next month's update.
Alec Steele: Alec is phenomenal. He has been studying and developing his craft since 2009, and he has a talent that shines in his work. He demonstrated at the ABANA conference in Rapid City SD summer 2012, and caught the eye of Spring Conference Host Dean Mook, and now he is coming to our conference.

More information and pre-registration coming soon.

February 21, 2013
5:24 pm
N.W.B.A.

Moderators
Forum Posts: 72
33909sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Spring 2013 conference registration is now open.
Start HERE: http://blacksmith.org/wp_files.....13Info.php

Get the up to date conference information and register early to receive your free T-Shirt.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

April 9, 2013
3:52 pm
Andrea

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 177
34213sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hurry up and pre register! We are only ordering a few extra T-shirts to sell, so do not wait to register when you get to the conference.

April 12, 2013
2:32 pm
N.W.B.A.

Moderators
34229sp_Permalink sp_Print

A message from our Auction Crew, Harold and Beth Heia:
HEAR YE, HEAR YE......Come one come all to the Spring AUCTION !
Yes, the Auction, that helps support our fine group's many events and activities...the place where you too can earn a free year in the NWBA by making a fine piece of art that brings in more than 250.00, not to mention the Bragging Rights! A place to bid up your buddy on a piece you know he really wants, but do this only if you have your own way to get home. So go play in the fire, get your creative juices flowing, and bring in those wonderful creations to the Spring Auction. Looking forward to seeing all of you there, and don't for get your checkbook (oops, cards too) for the treasures you will want to go home with. We always have a great time, come join us!
your humble auction crew.....

April 22, 2013
2:04 am
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 572
34285sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey All: I've spoken with all of the Hands-On instructors and have a list of tools and materials you will want to bring to the conference if you want to participate in the classes even if you aren't lucky enough to be drawn for the class...

Friday 9 - 12 Gene Bland
Gene will be teaching how to make and use chisels and punches using coil spring material from junk cars/trucks.. Bring some if you have or can get it... I asked Gene to bring some extra to sell to those who want it... Bring basic tools and tongs to hold 5/8" to 3/4" round bar. You might want some stuff to practice punching or chiseling...

Friday 1 -4 Steve Howell
Steve seems to be the guru of rivets and rivet heading... Steve will be teaching how to make rivet headers, rivets, and riveting. Bring basic tools, 5/8" to 3/4" bar for making headers. ( Could be round, square, oct, hex...) Round bar for making rivets, 1/4" or 3/8"... Round punch, and of course, tongs to hold all the material.. You might want some flat stock to practice riveting...

Saturday 9 -12 Pat Maher
Pat will be teaching how to make scrolling tongs or pliers... Bring basic tools... 9 inches of 1/2" round bar (might need two pieces, not sure), small amount of 3/8" round for rivets, and tongs to hold the stuff...

Saturday 1 -4 Scott Szloch (pronounced Schlaw)
Scott will be teaching hinge making... Bring basic tools... 1/8"x 1" flat bar or whatever width you want your hinge to be... Bring 1/4" round or ??? for hinge pins... You might want a hacksaw... Depends on the type of hinge Scott is demonstrating. You also want a round punch, hot chisel, and tongs to hold your material...

Sunday 8? - 12 Martin Brandt (I got the schedule from the Hot Iron News. All other morning classes start at 9 am.. Not sure which is correct.)
Martin will be teaching how to make knives from railroad spikes... Now before you say, " I've seen that before!!" Marty is an excellent knife maker... He has made period "Rifleman" knives from railroad spikes that sell for a few hundred dollars!! He'll show you how to do a few different twists for the handle. You'll want to bring basic tools, railroad spikes, (I may bring a few extra, but I hear you can go to jail for selling them so???) You'll need tongs that can grip the spike from the head end, or vise grips or whatever works... Spring fuller or guillotine tool, and a good hammer for drawing out... There is a lot of material to move to make a spike into a knife blade... You might want a flatter, a twisting wrench, hot chisel, maybe a cold chisel to mark for the hot cut, horse rasp or good file.

Hope this helps! Please forgive me if I have forgotten something! Course you won't know it till you get there and try to do the project! Then you can cuss me...

Thanks so much all of you instructors giving your time and knowledge!!! This really helps us learn our craft!! I hope I haven't overlooked anything you guys told me... Be sure and comment if I missed something!

See ya at the conference... email [email]gledhill@bauercom.net[/email] or pm me with questions...

Lynn

April 22, 2013
1:53 pm
billyO

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 235
34287sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Lynn.

Bringing anvil, tools, stock, and even vice is easy, do I need to bring forge and propane too? [SIZE=1](that's A LOT harder...)[/SIZE]

as always

peace and love

billyO

April 22, 2013
3:37 pm
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
34288sp_Permalink sp_Print

billyO;17798 wrote: Thanks Lynn.

Bringing anvil, tools, stock, and even vice is easy, do I need to bring forge and propane too? [SIZE=1](that's A LOT harder...)[/SIZE]

Yep, gotta bring yer own stuff if yer gonna audit the classes... If you are lucky enough to draw out and get into a class then all tools and material are provided.

April 22, 2013
6:44 pm
Tracy Lauricella

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 70
34289sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is there a schedule for the conference posted anywhere yet? I'm curious what times the various events are occurring.

Most importantly, what time does everything start on Friday? I'm trying to determine what time to get there. 🙂

April 22, 2013
8:45 pm
Janis Weakly

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 21
34291sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tracy Lauricella;17800 wrote: Is there a schedule for the conference posted anywhere yet? I'm curious what times the various events are occurring.

Most importantly, what time does everything start on Friday? I'm trying to determine what time to get there. 🙂

This is as it was posted in the last HIN:

Thursday
12pm Set up Expo Center for conference
5pm Board meeting

Friday
8am Registration open
9-12pm Berkley Tack demonstration
9-12pm Hands on #1 Gene Bland
12-1pm Lunch
1-4pm Alec Steele demonstration
1-4pm Hands on #2 Steve Howell
4-6pm Dinner (on your own)
6-12am Open Forge

Saturday
8am Registration open
9-12pm Alec Steele demonstration
9-12pm Hands on #3 Patrick Maher
12-1pm Lunch
1-4pm Berkley Tack demonstration
1-4pm Hands on #4 Scott Szloch
5-8:30pm Banquet, General meeting, Auction
8:30-12am Open forge

Sunday
8-11am Alec Steele demonstration
8-12pm Hands on #5 Martin Brandt
11-12pm Clean up and goodbyes

April 23, 2013
4:02 am
Lynn Gledhill
Junction City, Oregon

NWBA Member
34295sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tracy Lauricella;17800 wrote: Is there a schedule for the conference posted anywhere yet? I'm curious what times the various events are occurring.

Tracy, will be glad to see you again!!! Check out the start of this thread and the comments and you will have all you need to know... See you at the conference!!!

All the best,

Lynn

April 23, 2013
8:07 am
Gary Whitman

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 4
34296sp_Permalink sp_Print

My friends and I are planning on bringing tents, but probably won't get there til maybe around 2am Saturday morning. Where do we pay to tent camp? Do we just do that at the registration desk when we check in in the morning?

April 23, 2013
1:03 pm
N.W.B.A.

Moderators
34297sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gary Whitman;17807 wrote: My friends and I are planning on bringing tents, but probably won't get there til maybe around 2am Saturday morning. Where do we pay to tent camp? Do we just do that at the registration desk when we check in in the morning?

Yes, pay for tent camping at the registration desk.

April 23, 2013
6:02 pm
Steven Gatke

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 2
34298sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will there be any kind of food vendor on site?

April 24, 2013
4:34 am
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
34303sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gary if you set up in one of the barns or grass areas when you get in no one will give you grief about paying. Just make sure when you register that you let them know you are tent camping...

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

April 24, 2013
4:37 am
Larry L
Forum Posts: 1566
34304sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is a snack bar kind of place on the fairgrounds that serves hamburgers, hot dogs and assorted drinks and snacks but it seems like they are only open bankers hours.

Whatever you are, be a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

April 24, 2013
7:54 pm
bill apple

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 31
34307sp_Permalink sp_Print

Larry L;17815 wrote: There is a snack bar kind of place on the fairgrounds that serves hamburgers, hot dogs and assorted drinks and snacks but it seems like they are only open bankers hours.

Hi all there will be a cook wagon out side there all three day of the event. There will be breakfast and lunch. I had one of there hamburgers and it was great. Also Berkly is getting a slide show put together for Friday evening. Alec was here at my place the last couple of days he is quite impressive to watch forge. Hope to see every one There. Bill

April 24, 2013
9:46 pm
Lee Cordochorea

NWBA Member

Board Member
Forum Posts: 595
34312sp_Permalink sp_Print

We might be bringing a friend. Does the Association still waive a new member's first Conference fee with new membership? Or is that a thing of the past?

No matter where you go... there you are.

April 24, 2013
10:18 pm
Janis Weakly

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 21
34313sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lee Cordochorea;17823 wrote: We might be bringing a friend. Does the Association still waive a new member's first Conference fee with new membership? Or is that a thing of the past?

I am sorry but the Association no longer offers that deal. They must pay full price at the door.

April 25, 2013
4:08 am
Lee Cordochorea

NWBA Member

Board Member
Forum Posts: 595
34319sp_Permalink sp_Print

We snoozed, we loozed.:sluggish:

No matter where you go... there you are.

April 25, 2013
2:11 pm
marie churney

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 18
34322sp_Permalink sp_Print

Please remember to bring back your library books and DVDs- they are to be checked out only for three weeks. And, as at the last conference, there will be stickies to reserve books you want to check out: sign out for them and take them after the last demonstration on Saturday (around 4:30). Also, there will be slips with a return address for sending them back to me.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8727

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

Jeffrey Funk, Tom, churndashmaven, cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540