250# little giant in grand collie dam | Power Hammers and Presses | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
250# little giant in grand collie dam
September 22, 2010
1:22 pm
steve m
Forum Posts: 40
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I was over hunting with a friend and going through graand collie dam heading east there is a 250# little giant siting outside a welding shop in town. I stoped and talked to the old guy who owns it and he said he wanted $ 2500 for it. The tup and toggle and motter are off laying on the ground along with the gards. the frame and lower anvil looked good to me .No repares or cracks that I could see. I am no expert on these though but he said its all there. Its way to big for my residentual shop. Thought sumone might want to go look at it.
Steve

September 22, 2010
3:31 pm
Paul Estes
Forum Posts: 280
20492sp_Permalink sp_Print

Drool Drool, I am torn between that and those huge Drop Hammers from an auction back east...LOL here I am limping around from a strained back from working yesterday thinking about Huge things that wont fit in my tent....I need a Larger tent now.....hmmmmmm...no no I gotta make something I can sell first....ARGH!

September 22, 2010
5:49 pm
steve m
20494sp_Permalink sp_Print

good to see you hear Paul. I am on Don Fogs fourm frum time to time.I don't post mutch but read most of the threads. I coulden't even pick up the moter. It shure would put a strane on the old back. Are you going to make the confrence this October. If so It would be nice to meet face to face.

September 22, 2010
11:46 pm
Paul Estes
20503sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am going to most likely just a day trip though, and then limited with the kid. Ya would be nice, to finally meet. You going to have a space showing wears or anything? Should I wear body armor and a helmet? I've ticked a few folks off lately not sure if I should be watchin for sharp objects or bullets flyin at me. 😀

September 23, 2010
4:54 am
Eric Sprado

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 383
20514sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll stand back to back with you if it gets too bad at the conference... lansman.......

Eric Sprado

September 23, 2010
4:57 am
Guests
20515sp_Permalink sp_Print
[QUOTE=steve m;2944]I was over hunting with a friend and going through graand collie dam heading east there is a 250# little giant siting outside a welding shop in town. I stoped and talked to the old guy who owns it and he said he wanted $ 2500 for it. The tup and toggle and motter are off laying on the ground along with the gards. the frame and lower anvil looked good to me .No repares or cracks that I could see. I am no expert on these though but he said its all there. Its way to big for my residentual shop. Thought sumone might want to go look at it.
Steve

Just spent a few days with a smith/friend in the Napa valley who has weathered the recssion w/o a downturn. Big money there. He has 3 Anyangs...33, 88 and a 165... and a 100 lb Little Giant. The Anyangs hit hard, but had no control at the lower end. Couldn't feather/taper anything compared to my Saymak 60. The old 100 lb Little Giant was a dream to work. It was still a little sketchy compared to my hammer, but was far and above the Chinese hammers.

It's always difficult walking into a strange shop and trying to emulate the owners' style with the given machinery. But, I have to say, the old, crusty, greasy Little Giant out performed the Anyangs. Pain in the ass that it was to maintain, it was still...imho, a better hammer.

I kind of fell in love with the old hammer despite its idiosyncrasies, and worked on it exclusively for almost 3 days.

I've always had and used self contained hammers, but I have to say the Little Giant I worked on was terrific. I've come to the conclusion that a property tuned mechanical hammer can be as effective as any air hammer, but may require a little more touchy/feeley maintenance to keep it working.

JE

September 23, 2010
7:20 am
Paul Estes
20517sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ya I am having a local guy bring his boom truck over tomorrow so I can get the wood base hooked to my 100 lber. Tired of the rockin and a rollin screwing my tension up, but ya when the tension is right she runs great.

And Shalom Eric 🙂

LOL just thought a funny thought about making an Iron Yalmuke

September 23, 2010
2:03 pm
steve m
20527sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just go to the confrences to hang out and have fun and learn. I'm the one bringing the nail tree. I think a 50# er would do for my shop and needs. My treadle hammer whares my leag out.Have to figure out how to get the extra $ to aford one. Interesting about the chines hammers compared to the old little giants. I've never used ether one.

September 23, 2010
2:31 pm
Ries

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 318
20528sp_Permalink sp_Print

Its funny how you get used to what you have.
I have an 88lb Anyang, and I can taper and feather with it quite easily- I taper stuff as small as 1/4" on it, and it has the ability to hit very lightly, or pretty hard, to hit only once, and I am very used to it.

I was in a shop a while ago with a little giant, and I couldnt get it to do anything right. It wasnt the hammer- its very well maintained by a very experienced smith- it was all me, and my unfamiliarity with it. I kept getting it to hit when I didnt want to, not when I wanted to, and quickly gave up and moved to a different machine- a 165lb Chinese hammer, which I easily did what I needed with- and I was working bronze, which is very finicky.

My point being, its all what you are used to.

I ran a kuhn last year, which some people claim is the best self contained hammer ever made. I thought it was about average, and very light hitting for its capacity- it was a 50kg or 60kg hammer, and it couldnt do what my 40kg Anyang will.
In that case, I think it was partly the light weight of the fabricated design, as opposed to the heft of my two piece machine, which has a 1200lb anvil.

But, again, its what you are used to.

September 23, 2010
3:28 pm
david hyde
Forum Posts: 334
20529sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hoping not to stir up a large mechanical v air debate (but an air man myself) ..... but then again what the hell, good heated debates are usually more entertaing than the "gee buddy/mac/billy bob (delete as appropriate) that's a mighty fine hammer, praise the lord and pass the ammunition ... and don't swear" type of threads prevalent on other forums.

I've never used any sort of mechanical other than a Blacker for few minutes (Wallace and Grommit hammer, not to my liking) so I can't really compare to one. I've briefly used a Sahinler for a few minute, other than that it's my two Kinyons and an Anyang 88

I'm quite happy with the 88 but do find the Kinyon more useful for certain types soft blows because of the way it slows down. Kinda suprised that a mechanical can be as controllable as air but that's just a gut reaction not an observation. That said I wouldn't swap the ability of air to work thick and thin section and use tooling without having to make any adjustment

September 23, 2010
4:18 pm
Paul Estes
20530sp_Permalink sp_Print

The more I sit and think about this the more I want to save that hammer from the Elements. G-d I cant afford to spend the money though...I just think this hammer needs saved, the longer its outside the more chance of it being ruined. UGH

September 23, 2010
11:35 pm
Guests
20545sp_Permalink sp_Print

WmHorus;2983 wrote: The more I sit and think about this the more I want to save that hammer from the Elements. G-d I cant afford to spend the money though...I just think this hammer needs saved, the longer its outside the more chance of it being ruined. UGH

I don't think it'll be rusting away to nothing anytime soon there whorus.

September 23, 2010
11:43 pm
Grant
Forum Posts: 1420
20546sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gonna need a better excuse than that. Things don't deteriorate very fast in the dry eastern part of the state.

“There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,
transform a yellow spot into the sun.” ~ Pablo Picasso ~

September 24, 2010
12:36 am
Paul Estes
20547sp_Permalink sp_Print

Damn....ya got me.......so it'll give me more time to think and save for something. I did see a Carnival sized tent for sale....lol

http://spokane.craigslist.org/.....22759.html

With that I could think about a drop hammer but...then I'd be wasting it no power source or concrete pad for it.

September 24, 2010
1:26 am
Eric Sprado

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 383
20548sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow:If WmHorus and I were Christians we could embark on a new career.Treated Jimmy Swaggert pretty well for a while. I'm thinking a successful year on the road and we could buy all the power hammers we ever dreamed of...AND a place to put them.Or maybe skip the power hammers and have an army strikers on call.....OOOOh... Erich Spradov-Changed to Sprado when family came to USA..

http://spokane.craigslist.org/.....22759.html

September 24, 2010
3:05 am
nuge
Forum Posts: 95
20552sp_Permalink sp_Print

..... but then again what the hell, good heated debates are usually more entertaing than the "gee buddy/mac/billy bob (delete as appropriate) that's a mighty fine hammer, praise the lord and pass the ammunition ... and don't swear" type of threads prevalent on other forums.

put me down for an lol.

Decided to sell my mechanical about five minutes after my first self contained was running. Not that I could't put out good work with it, it was a nice hammer. Just seemed clunky.

September 24, 2010
2:16 pm
nuge
Forum Posts: 95
20560sp_Permalink sp_Print

The little giant was really fun to learn on. It was two years older than my grandpa. And when visitors saw it running, it scared them. I liked that.

September 24, 2010
2:58 pm
Paul Estes
20563sp_Permalink sp_Print

No Strykers, Damn things are a pain in the ass to drive I hear and the field of vision from thier seat is extremely limited. Not to menton after you have one almost run ya over and ruin yer life....I'd rather have a visit from Torquemada.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8726

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

Tom, churndashmaven, cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540