Bending a 360 degree clam on a hossfeld | Problem Solving | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Bending a 360 degree clam on a hossfeld
April 18, 2011
3:04 pm
JNewman
Forum Posts: 520
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I may have a job to bend over 100 pipe brackets that go all the way around a pipe and then have the two legs sticking out the same side. I wonder if there is a way to get the bend around the pipe all the way to the right angle bend. My plan right now is to bend the 2 90s first but getting the pipe radius bend right to that corner with the Hossfeld is eluding me. My thought right now is to bend the 90s then bend the two ends on my press then bend the middle with the Hossfeld. Any way I can do this reliably on the Hossfeld? I also have to drill 1" holes in the two legs for a 1" bolt. With not having any clearance I think I had better drill the holes after bending even though it will be trickier. I am also going to try and talk them into going with a bigger hole.

April 18, 2011
3:21 pm
Ries

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 318
26333sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whats the material?
At first, I thought you wanted to bend PIPE in a 360- but then I realized "clams" were clamps, and its some kind of flat bar the easy way?

If so, you might consider doing it on top of the hossfeld, hot-
I use a variety of dies on the center pin, sometimes just a piece of pipe, other times big discs of steel with a hole in them, to bend metal all the way around- you can bend more than 360 this way.

These pictures show making a coil out of 3/8" round- cold, around a piece of pipe for the mandrel.
The second photo is actually 3/8" stainless, hot, because I had previously textured about 6 feet of it on the hammer with spring swages, which meant it wouldnt bend smoothly cold any more. Too irregular.
But I have used the same process, hot, to bend things like 3/8" flat bar.
Hossfeld makes a double height bending dog, and extra tall center pins, but those are both pretty easy to make your own, too.

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

April 18, 2011
3:32 pm
JNewman
Forum Posts: 520
26335sp_Permalink sp_Print

The material is 2"x1/4" bent the easy way. 7.5" dia and 10" dia. I would really like to do this cold if possible. I was going to make a bending mandrel out of a glued up stack of baltic birch plywood. I have used these before as it is easy to make the diameter exactly right to allow for the springback. I hadn't thought of using a higher bending dog.

April 18, 2011
3:50 pm
Ries

NWBA Member
Forum Posts: 318
26337sp_Permalink sp_Print

1/4" x 2 the easy way should work up on top.
And plywood dies might last 100 parts- probably.
I tend to plasma cut 1/4" plate, and stack that, to make dies, as I have the plasma cutting table ten feet away, but wood is a time honored material for short run tooling.

For 2" wide, a taller bending dog would be a good idea- Hossfeld just welds a thicker piece on instead of their standard dog nose. You could do just weld an extra piece on top of the standard one, though, and then grind it off at some point if it got in the way.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 668

Currently Online:
28 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Larry L: 1566

Grant: 1420

Bruce Macmillan: 625

Lee Cordochorea: 595

Lynn Gledhill: 572

JNewman: 520

Gene C: 504

J Wilson: 426

Eric Sprado: 383

Tom Allyn: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 22

Members: 8726

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 23

Forums: 97

Topics: 3538

Newest Members:

Tom, churndashmaven, cameliacity, fred.f.chopin, RuoYi, rodeoneerer, NWBABjorn, mddangelo, Nevillberger, Crusty Veteran

Moderators: Steve McGrew: 77, N.W.B.A.: 72, webmaster: 0, bluehost: 0

Administrators: admin: 540